2023 Ecommerce Fulfillment Report
Retailers in 2023 are facing an increasingly complicated fulfillment landscape. They can choose from 3PLs, 4PLs, or handle fulfillment in-house. At the same time, consumer expectations are growing. Shoppers want fast, free shipping, with options for alternative and sustainable delivery. They also continue to demand omnichannel options, even as some retailers cut back on curbside pickup to cut costs.
In response, retailers are taking action and building up their fulfillment networks. Amazon announced plans to double its same-day delivery facilities. Target, meanwhile, is investing $100 million in supply chain expansion, including new sortation centers to gather and ship orders from dozens of nearby stores.
The 2023 Ecommerce Fulfillment Report analyzes how retailers are navigating a variety of fulfillment vendors and changing consumer expectations. Here are some of the key trends that we cover:
- The rise of 3PLs and 4PLs
- Consumer demand for faster, free shipping
- Growth of omnichannel fulfillment
- Focus on sustainability
View the table of contents for full details on what’s included in the report.
Published August 2023
- Exclusive consumer survey results reveal what customers value most, their evolving shopping habits and ever-changing expectations
- 20+ charts and graphs detailing fulfillment, consumer shopping behavior and more
- Expert analysis on top U.S. shipping carriers and how their finances impact retailers
- Breakdowns of shipping, returns, and omnichannel offerings among retailers in the Top 1000
Extensive Retail Market Overview
Read our major findings on ecommerce fulfillment today, including:
- Although consumers prefer free shipping, our survey results indicate that it is not necessarily a deal breaker
- Despite lower volumes, shipping carriers managed to grow their revenue in 2022 by raising prices
- Carriers generated a total of $198 billion in revenue in 2022, an increase of 6.5% over 2021
20+ Data-Packed Charts
Start visualizing the power of strategies and trends in ecommerce fulfillment and share critical data with your colleagues and clients.
Online Shopper Survey Results & Consumer Insights
Digital Commerce 360 surveyed 1,017 online shoppers regarding their shipping experiences, expectations, behavior, and how environmental concerns are playing into their choices.
Here’s a sample of our results:
Shopper comfort level with non-traditional delivery experiences fluctuates, though package receptacles in front of the house still see the greatest acceptance.
Here’s a sample:
WHY YOU SHOULD BUY IT
Digital Commerce 360’s Ecommerce Fulfillment Report is essential for retailers seeking to adapt and excel in a “new normal” characterized by supply chain disruptions, inflation, and balancing consumer demand with escalating costs.
With significant changes still ahead, our dependable data and comprehensive analysis helps ensure your fulfillment stays aligned with your business needs by leveraging our insights and making essential adjustments.
OTHER REPORTS YOU MAY LIKE
Top 1000 Report
Analyzing North America’s leading online retailers, ranked 1-1,000 by web sales
Analyzing omnichannel trends in today’s evolving retail world
How to Improve Conversion Rates Report
Analyzing retailers’ strategies and investments to increase conversion rates